Rhubarb Sorbet


Do you guys remember Mat and I's little adventure at Rona? Where we were both totally clueless as to what type of nails I needed to build my own beautiful off-white backdrop for photos?

Well, there it is! I made that! All by myself (with a little help from the internet)! It's exactly what I wanted - off-white, distressed, rustic. I cannot believe that it actually turned out nicely. Whaaat.


For the boards, I picked Douglas Fir simply because those specific boards had some texture and grooves to them. I cut them down to the size I wanted, then had three cross boards to keep the whole thing together. I bought a dark wood stain, some nails, and some sandpaper at Rona. But the thing that totally made this look distressed and rustic was milk paint.

"What the hell is milk paint?" you might be wondering.


Milk paint is a paint specifically for distressing things. You paint a couple coats, let it dry, and then sand the parts that you want to show through and look distressed. Also, the paint will flake off and crack in certain places which adds to the whole antique look. Seriously, the paint did all the work here.


I bought my paint from Miss Mustard Seeds Milk Paint website. The colour I used was "grain sack". The website has a whole range of colours of milk paint, not to mention any equipment you might need for your DIY antique-ing projects. I used good ol' elbow grease and a ton of sandpaper to get the distressed look, but an easier way would be to use wax over the stain, so the paint naturally comes off rather than you sanding it off.

I would also recommend getting something like a top coat. I didn't buy that because I didn't know I needed it (remember, I have no idea what I'm doing). Since I'm photographing food, little spills happen and the paint can rub off if I try to scrub it too hard. I don't know what you call a top coat for wood...things but, yeah, a top coat would be good.


I used a dark wood stain under the paint which is what I wanted to show through when the paint was chipped. Another really cool idea would be to use a different colour of milk paint instead of the wood stain. Or you can mix the colours to create new colours! The paint comes as a powder so it's super easy to blend. I'm thinking Iron Stone (white) underneath, then a mix of Kitchen Scale (teal) and Grain Sack (off-white) over top. 


All in all, it was a fun little DIY project for me and also my first real DIY project ever! It was wonderfully easy to use and the results are exactly what I wanted. You'll be seeing this white background a lot this summer!



Rhubarb Sorbet

500 g rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
592 g water
300 g granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender.

Take off the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the rhubarb until it is a smooth liquid. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl, pushing the pulp through the sieve. You should have hardly any pulp left in the sieve. If you do have a lot of pulp, puree and strain again.

Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the strained rhubarb puree and refrigerate overnight.

When you are ready to churn the sorbet, prepare your container for the finished ice cream by lining it with plastic wrap and placing it in the freezer.

Churn the sorbet according your machines instructions and transfer to the cold container. Smooth the surface of the sorbet and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for a few hours until firm.

Enjoy it on its own or create a sorbet float by adding some champagne, ginger ale, or sparkling water to glass with a scoop of sorbet.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that design is amazing. The pictures it has produced seem like it was worth it :) The rhubarb sorbet sounds very refreshing and delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally was worth it! It is very refreshing - perfect for enjoying on the patio in the sunshine :)

      Delete
  2. I love rhubarb and recently made some frozen yoghurt. Never tried it in a sorbet though, it looks so refreshing and it's a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm rhubarb frozen yogurt sounds awesome! It's very refreshing, almost like a palate cleanser. Bright, refreshing, little bit sweet, but total rhubarb flavour. That's what I love about sorbet - it's just pure fruit with a bit of sugar.

      Delete
  3. Pinned--- (I take my rhubarb Pinterest board very seriously!) This looks so delicious, I just made a rhubarb butter and I'm slathering it on everything, why does the season have to be so short??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb...butter? Is that like mixing cooked rhubarb with butter or making a rhubarb curd/compote? I'm very curious about that!
      You can cut up rhubarb and freeze it and it will be okay for things like pies! That's what I did last spring. After all this rhubarb that I've gone through, I've had enough of rhubarb for now. I can wait until next spring!

      Delete